Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Two day foray into SPY quarterly options

There are a series of SPY options that expire on quarterly dates:  last day of March, June, September, and December.  Not all brokers offer access to these, but Fidelity does.  Wrote a covered call of SPY with the 106 Sept 30 call options (RDQIB).  Spy was at 106.10 and sold to open the options at .66 for a net investment (debit) of 105.44.  Maximim profit is .56 per share if SPY closes above 106 -- a 0.5% gain.

 I did a combo order--buying the stock and selling the options as a package at a specified combination price.   I have used these to try and beat the spread, but they can take a long time to fill, and the market can move against you.  More recently I have used them when the market has been active, the options prices have been bouncing around, and I don't want the stress of waiting for a options limit order to fill.  I don't recommend using market offers on options--even when the spreads are a penny I will put a limit order in at that price.

These options expire tomorrow night, so not long to wait to see how this turns out...

No comments: