Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trading the SPY Trendline -- 27-Oct-09

SPY has been on a classic trend line for several months.  My observation is that the stock market is no respect of  charts, but lots of people follow the charts and trade accordingly--so I use charts as a psychological predictor.  According to the trend line, SPY should bottom around 105.5 in this current cycle and then start making its way back up again.   I plan to jump into SPY at around that point.

Click chart to enlarge.


2 comments:

Mark said...

New to the site, its pretty nice. Why do you use the the ETF's instead of the major indexes? One thing I think you might find interesting is tracking the relationship of the VIX, VXN, VXO, and RVX. Anyway, great work!

VanceH- said...

Hi Mark, I don't follow the Dow because it is so narrow, and SPY tracks the S&P 500. Got burned pretty good in the 2000 crash so that is probably why I don't follow the NASDAQ. Since I trade primarily in these ETFs as opposed to individual stocks it seems simpler to just watch the ETFs. Perhaps I don't understand your question.

I haven't spent hardly any time on the other volatility indexes. I will take a closer look. I don't view any of them as predictive, but I think they are very interesting measures of human psychology.